If you find this site useful and want to make a small donation to support its maintenance and expansion, then please use button below.
Singer Factories - Wittenberge, Prussia
The Singer factory in Wittenberge, Prussia was established in 1903 and started production of sewing machines in 1904. After 1939 sewing machine production was limited when most of the factory was allocated to military production during the Second World War.
At the end of the war Wittenberge found itself in the Eastern section of Germany under Russian control. To start with it was unclear what had happened to the factory but then in June 1946 Douglas Alexander, the Singer President, broke the news to the AGM that he had just heard that the machinery had been removed from the Wittenberge factory and taken to Russia as war reparations.
Between 1904 and 1943 a total of approx. 6.5 million Singer sewing machines were produced by the Wittenberge factory. Besides various industrial models, the factory produced 15D, 201D and 206D domestic models.
Singer machines produced at the Wittenberge factory were identified by a suffix D added to their model numbers. Their serial numbers took the form of ‘C’ followed by up to 7 digits which were allocated sequentially.
After WW11 the machinery from the Wittenberge factory was taken as reparations and tranferred to the state run soviet sewing machine factory in Podosk. The sewing machine heritage established by Singer in Wittenberge was continued a few years later when the factory was re-equipped and restarted as VEB Nahmaschinenwerk Wittenberge. To start with production was just a few industrial models made each year, but by 1951 household models were added and production gradually expanded. In 1955 they took over the name VERITAS from VEB Mechanik Schreibmaschinenwerke Dresden prevously Siedel & Naumann). Production finally ceased in 1991 after German reunification. A total of just over 7.5 million machines were made during the Veritas period.